We so need smart fools today!
Aims, approaches and ambitions – triple A already and we’ve barely begun!
‘Stultorum plena sunt omnia’, said the ancients, or ‘fools are everywhere’, and so it has proved.
To highlight this dazzling fact, we are building the most sparkling, scholarly, and sweeping online treasury to promote the appreciation of fools and jesters throughout history and across the world.
Modest ambitions, as you know, never got anybody anywhere.
Foolsareeverywhere.com will draw on thousands of quotes, examples and anecdotes in a dozen or so languages, amassed in – and since – researching the award-winning book of the same name. It will feature:
- a glimmering mosaic of quotations and stories – demonstrating the wonder of fools and the utility of humour to thrive (or just survive) in uncertain times
- a judiciously selected and indispensable canon of primary and secondary sources complemented by
- an annotated bibliography of erudite yet engaging studies
- a biographical who’s who and visual gallery of fools real, imaginary, or both
- a polyglot and limpid lexicon of fools and foolery
- a gap map so would-be foolologists can stride into uncharted terrain and plant fresh seeds in the field
- in due course (a lovely term for buying time) – an irresistible selection of products to inject wise levity into the vicissitudes of life.
And not a jot of jargon in sight. Or shoot me with a pea-shooter (mushy peas only).
Please sign up on the left for regular bulletins from the cutting edge of global fool studies.
Thank you and see you here whenever you need a dose of sanity and a refreshing perspective. We’ll be firing off despatches on Fridays which have now been reassigned Fool Days.
Design and content copyright: Beatrice Otto 2019 all rights reserved I www.foolsareeverywhere.com I www.writingredux.com I www.nuannaarpoq.com I www.beatriceotto.com I header & related jester illustrations by joaomontenegro.com
Colours and fonts were chosen for aesthetic strength and because their names reflect the mission of foolsareeverywhere.com. Fonts: Quipley I Lustria I Wild Pen. Colours include: Jester Yellow by Faeriepuffs I New Laughter by Ilara